ISCHGL TOURIST OFFICE, FIRST MEETING

Date: 3 February, 1929. Location of event: Gasthaus Sonne, Ischgl. Number of people in attendance: 25. Purpose of the meeting: Foundation of the tourist office. To put it simply, this was the day when organised tourism began in Paznaun.

The decision was unanimous: after three detailed presentations on the aim and purpose of devoting more attention to tourism in the future, all those assembled in Josef Aloys’ guesthouse voted in favour of “the foundation of a tourist office for the municipality of Iscghl (the villages of Ischgl and Mathon) with its headquarters in Ischgl.”

The first steps had already been taken in the years before. An “Improvement Society” already existed, as did a provisional tourist office sports club. Both were merged into the new association.

The original text from the minute book

The new association was authorised to collect compulsory contributions from its members, to be used “to cover the necessary costs for the creation, structuring and running of facilities and companies serving tourism.”

Specifically, every member had to pay five Austrian schillings a year into the communal kitty – plus 50 groschen for every registered “guest bed”. Then the first tourism committee was selected, with landlords, those renting private rooms, business people and municipal representatives taking their seats on the board. The association met regularly from that point on, alternating between guesthouses in Ischgl and Mathon.

As a first initiative, the fledgling tourism experts agreed on the production of an “attractive brochure and simple listing of tourist rooms,” which should be “illustrated, with a brief text.”

The quality of the pictures was also discussed. Agreement was reached, according to the minutes, on “good photographs of the villages, distinctive mountains, lakes, Alps etc”. The following recommendation was given for the text: it “should contain the general position and height of the villages, the high mountains and passes with details of altitude, excursions, walking tours etc, the prices of guesthouses and rooms, as well as train, car and postal connections.”

Then the price for private guest beds was agreed upon. It was arranged that an overnight stay should cost two Austrian schillings. Prices for overnight stays in guesthouses and pensions were to be decided by the landlords themselves.

The first brochure (see below) met all these criteria. It positioned Ischgl on the European tourism route between Basle and Budapest and promoted its “short walking tours”, “daily tours”, and rooms in the “Post”, the “Goldener Adler”, the guesthouse “Bodenalpe” and the “Rössle” in Mathon.

The brochure was produced in rotogravure at the Wagner printers in Innsbruck, with a circulation of 15 000 copies. The 1 000 Austrian schillings cost incurred was the first expense of the new tourist office to be noted in the minutes.

Ischgl’s first tourist brochure, 1929.